Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The best of 2011 - the rest

'Tis the season for a lot of things, but chief among them is weighing in to the wild and wondrous world of listing your own personal top 10 list for music produced/released over the past year.

As you've probably guessed, I'm in.

Before fully launching into my 10 favourite albums of the year, I should give the nod to those that got honourable mentions - those that contained a few gems and/or were by bands that I generally like, but that didn't actually contain quite enough solid Grade A tunes to warrant a top 10 appearance.

Those other notables include (in no particular order):

Weird Al Yankovic - Alpocalypse
Flogging Molly - Speed of Darkness
Blink-182 - Neighborhoods
Eddie Vedder - Ukulele Songs
Dropkick Murphys - Going Out in Style
The Lonely Island - Turtleneck & Chain
Travis Barker - Give the Drummer Some
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
My Morning Jacket - Circuital
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Tao of the Dead

Some of these really surprised me by not actually making it on to my top 10, particularly Travis Barker, Trail of Dead and the new Foo Fighters, all of which have been on heavy rotation on my iPod since they came out, but there you have it.

I'll be back in a day or two with my #10 album. Until then, I recommend (highly) that you follow some of those links if you've not had the pleasure of making those artists' acquaintance, and introduce yourself to their awesomeness. It'll be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment